05 January, 2013

Day 5

                                                                 

Crack bowl

Today I started working with pink clay.
 I wanted to do some bigger and thinner pinch pot.
With chamotte clay that it's not so difficult because chamotte gives your clay the strenght.
The higher the percentage of chamotte is and the bigger the grain size is, 
the stronger the clay will be.

*Click for larger image

This pink clay has 40 % of chamotte and the grain size is 0-0,5 mm.
At one point I added some white clay on the inside of the pot 
and I continued with stretching and shaping.
Eventually the cracks were formed and I liked the effect.
I continued with this process until the clay was too hard for stretching.
It cracked, but not much. 
This effect is something I could experiment with next time. 
Maybe I'll try to make bigger cracks on different clay.

UPDATE: Cracked during firing :(








No comments :

Post a Comment

What do you think?